[MPlayer-users] My experience with Maxtor 160GB, LVM, XFS

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Mon Apr 29 23:56:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:15:39 +0000 (GMT)
Steve Davies <steved-mplayer-users at daviesfam.org> wrote:

> Perhaps some of you use mplayer as part of a "PVR" system like I do.
> I've just finished adding a Maxtor 160GB drive to my video system and
> thought I'd post my experience in case it helps others.

Dont think that is needed, as a lot of ppl have such drives installed
(dont ask how many i have :)

> On the hardware side I did make two discoveries:  First is that the
> Promise controller cannot support the big drive - it sees only 128GB of
> the drive.  Secondly - the Promise controller does not support the ATAPI
> DVD drive either.

No problem here, i use a promise Ultra 100TX2

> The idea that you can get 160GB in a standard IDE drive boggles the mind.
> <oldfart>I can remember washing machine sized drives giving far less than
> 1000th that space...</oldfart>

Ever worked on a 286 with a 10MB drive ? Or a C64 with only a 5.25 floppy ? :-)

The only problem i had is that the Promise dont like the Adaptec 2940 i use
to boot from (either i get the wrong order of boot devices or a geometry missmatch)
I have some ideas how to fix that... but i dont like to reboot my fileserver,
neither does Gabu :)

			Attila Kinali

--
Israel, where the first genocide of this century takes place.