[MPlayer-users] mencoder - using external VBR/ABR MP3s

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Sat Apr 27 17:12:01 CEST 2002

Hi everyone.

One thing - I have RTFM and searched both mplayer-users and
mplayer-dev but wasn't able to find a satisfying answer.

I'm trying to transcode a MPEG to DivX5.0.1. It works nicely with

mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi
mencoder -oac copy -pass 1 -ovc divx4 -divx4opts br=1000 -o ... ...
and the same with -pass 2, just like described in encoding.html.

This really creates a nice AVI with VBR MP3. Everything is in synch.

Now what I'd like to do is normalize my audio. So I do the following
steps:

 - extract the MP2
 - convert it to WAV
 - use "normalize" to normalize
 - use "lame --alt-preset 128" for generating a VBR (ABR) MP3

Then I start mencoder like this:

mencoder -oac copy -audiofile lame-generated.mp3 -ovc divx4... (rest
  like above, two passes and the like, REMOVED frameno.avi before this
  step)

Here I get a shitload of error messages:
duplicate 1 frame(s)!!!
and the resulting video is totally out of synch.

Now it does work if I chose cbr for lame, e.g. "lame -c 128".

So... How about joining AVI with VBR MP3s? tech/codecs.txt states that
mencoder should be able to do that, but apparently it does not work for
me.

Is the support broken? Not implemented? Have I overlooked something in
the docs?

Thanks for your help.

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)