[MPlayer-users] Re-Encoding 200MB MPEG1 file to divx4 (br=628) fills hd

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Apr 27 10:47:02 CEST 2002

On Saturday 27 April 2002 01:00, Frederik Klama wrote:

> On Friday 26 April 2002 21:17, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> >
> > On Friday 26 April 2002 21:44, Frederik Klama wrote:
> > > I have used the following line to start mencoder:
> > > mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts mode=3 -ovc divx4 -divx4opts br=628:q=1
> > > -o target.avi source.MPG
> >
> > change that q to q=5 or a bit lower, at q=1 divx4/5 is skipping almost
> > the whole compression, so data get's huge, it's though for live capturing
> > from tv and stuff, where mainly speed matters.
>
> It makes no difference if I have q=1 or q=5 set. :(
> But should't the bitrate determine the size ???

quoting doom9.org on Performance/Quality setting which should be the analog to
linux q param (from divx5, but should apply to divx4, too):

Performance/Quality: This represents how much time the codec spends on
compressing each frame. The slower the codec works, the better the quality. I
suggest you always leave it as slowest as this gives the best quality. If you
want to use the codec for real-time capturing you should set it to fastest
instead. This parameter represents the motion search accuracy. When you set
it to fastest motion search is completely turned off, giving you an analog of
MJPEG with inter frame control added. The higher speed the lower quality (at
the same bitrate). Setting it to fastest will also turn off the scene change
detection.

--
Best Regards,
        Atmos