[MPlayer-users] RE: [Dxr3-devel] DXR3 Performance (used to be No Signal)

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at strike.wu-wien.ac.at
Tue Apr 23 00:31:01 CEST 2002

On Monday 22 April 2002 23:33, degen at home.se wrote:

> > I am always looking for fun EE projects. I have access to some Virtex
> > boards in my department. How hard would it be to implement a hardware
> > DivX encoder/decoder on an FPGA? I mean, would it require more than a
> > thousand slices (or a thousand hours of development time :-)? I digress.
>
> Hmmmm. Interesting, but I suppose that divx decoding is a pretty complex
> matter, I believe you would be better off with some sort of processor.
> Something RISCy maybe. :)

I also don't think a FPGA will be the right choice. I would perhaps better
choose a DSP or something like that. Moreover you should be aware that the
lifetime of those codecs seems to be quite short, so you should design your
system in a way that you can upgrade it to newer codecs. Besides that there
are probably some legal issues...

		Regards,
		Hermann

x1 at aon.at
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7