[MPlayer-users] 12 thoughts about MPlayer

Jean-Louis Debert JLD at rsd-intl.com
Mon Apr 22 09:18:01 CEST 2002

> > Well, not always: here, with a simple "mplayer -dvd 1" the aspect
> > is okay for xv, xmga, gl, dxr3, but it is NOT for: dga, svga
> > This is a quite "standard" dvd (french movie "Taxi 2") with
> > aspect ratio 1.78 (16:9) and the problem exists in fact with
> > any DVD movie I can lay hands on (except possibly a few ones
> > which have a 4:3 video encoding).
> > Are you saying that DVD movies are not mpeg files ???
> >
> Those drivers you mentioned don't have hardware scaling and
> thus can't scale
> the movie to correct aspect. -vo dga can be used with -zoom to enable
> swscaling (there's -vop scale now for all drivers, but it doesn't yet
> autodetect values for aspect).

Thanks for the (quick) answer.

BTW, I should say why I did mention this particular movie: it's because
there is at the very beginning of the movie, a sequence with a spinning
Earth globe, which makes it very easy to check aspect ratio.
This information might be useful to others (if they have the movie).

Regards.