[MPlayer-users] Re: Low bitrate using 2-pass with libavcodec

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Apr 21 01:39:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Don't use vhq on the first pass. The second pass will still be encoded
> with a lower bitrate than the first, but the difference will be
> minimal (less than 10%). Adjust the bitrate accordingly. For example,
> on a 10 minutes sample I specified vbitrate=858 and got 797 on the
> second pass. The ratio may depend on what you encode.

i'll fix it next week. the current 2-pass code was made for divx4, and seems
to always overestimate bitrate of libavcodec.
i've already wrote code for libavcodec 2pass which works better, at least it
get +-1mb diff at 700mb filesize, but i'm not staisfied with the bitrate
control, sometimes produce blocky scenes.

> This is a bug in libavcodec and someone from ffmpeg said it will be
> fixed (ie he is aware of the problem and he knows how to fix it).
currently vfq is disabled (even if user enabled) for -pass 1

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team