[MPlayer-users] codec status page

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 18 00:17:02 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 23:13, Kevin Rueckert wrote:
> greetings mplayer users.
greetings earthling.

> I do however have a question regarding the codec status
> page.  Specifically, I see the following:
>
> Codec name:  Motion Wavelets
> fourcc:  MWV1
> codec file:  icmw_32.dll
> problem:  no yuv, flip requires
>
> And I will be bluntly honest and state that I don't understand what the
> "problem" listing is trying to convey.  Could someone lower this jargon
> from Techy-level-5 to Techy-level-3 (quasi-geek-speak) for me?
well I doubt it can be told easier than this, you have to know a bit about
video coding to understand it, it means:
"no yuv": codec does not support video output in the yuv colorspace, where
colors aren't coded as red, gren, blue compinents, but instead as grey-scale
luminance, red chrominance and blue chrominance. This coding requires less
bit's then rgb and is thus better suited for video compression and also
decompression as lower memory bandwidth is required (usually 50% the
bandwidth of true color rgb).
"flip required": means that the image is output with top and bottom of the
image flipped, so the video out must flip it back on displaying or you'll
have to live in australia to see the video the right way (choose what you
like best).

--
Best Regards,
        Atmos