[MPlayer-users] Re: XviD support fading out?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Apr 14 23:15:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> So what would be your advise regarding encoding/re-encoding DivX films in
> the future ~ libavicodec ? I need something to work on here, as I like to
> make scripts to make my life easier and so on. There is always the
> divx4linux, however it seems to me that it is so outdated it should be
> forgotten, and that libavcodec/xvidcore seem to have picked up where it
> left off.
>
> So I'm guessing that the libavcodec would be the right choice, or do you
> have any other suggestions?

as far as i see, only libavcodec develops nowdays...
divx5linux (with encoding) is not planned for linux (and the win32 dll is
protected against wine loader and not yet cracked), and xvid seems to be
broken or at least developed too slowly.

> Oh, and btw: any idea how encoding speeds and quality compare with xvidcore
> and libavcodec?
both are better with lavc
but one xvid guy said that ME in xvid is broken and they will fix it, so
maybe after fixing it will produce better quality... maybe not...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team