[MPlayer-users] DVD subtitles

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 14 16:00:02 CEST 2002

On Sunday 14 April 2002 12:57, Andras Salamon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with a DVD (Crimson Rivers).
>
> If I play it (-vo xv) using 1024x768, everything is OK.
>
> If I play it (-vo xv) using 800x600, there are no subtitles in fullscreen
> mode.
this is due to the fact, that most xv drivers/hardware can't downscale, you
can work around it with current cvs of mplayer by something like this:

mplayer ~/download/samples/Lenny.Kravitz-American.Woman.vob -vop scale=720:404
-x 720 -y 404 -vo xv -sws 0

This will use mplayer's swscaler to downscale the video vertically to correct
aspect and hwscaler of xv will then slightly upscale to 800xXXX, this example
is for anamorphic PAL dvd.

Btw. there is generally no speed to gain by lowering display-resolution of
hw-yuv-overlays, in reality the overlays even get faster in higher
display-res.

--
Best Regards,
        Atmos