[MPlayer-users] Software scaling problem

Alexey Morozov morozov at novosoft.ru
Sat Apr 13 16:34:01 CEST 2002

2Gabu: Well, probably I didn't RTFM properly, you may not include your
usual message header :-)

Anyway, here's the problem. I have a movie that 512x384 pixels in size
and I can play it with hardware scaling to 1024x768 just fine (I have
GATOS drivers, properly working xv and blah-blah-blah). Well I decided
to test the new postprocessing interface and wrote smth like this:

mplayer -vop scale=1024:768 -vc ffdivx -vo xv /a/path/to/movie.avi

Hmm, a problem... I see in the log smth like this:

VDec: vo config request - 512 x 384, Planar YV12
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
SwScale scaling 512x384 Planar YV12 to 1024x768 BGR 24-bit

SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from Planar YV12 to BGR 24-bit using MMX2

and the window appeared (512x384 px.) contains an almost total bogus
output. (An almost: I can see a small (about 10%width) vertical line
with correct output in the left side and the same line in the middle of
the window). The rest of the picture contains a white (well, colored
enough :-)) noise. Well, I guess I should pass some parameters to xv
subsystem, right?

The same test w/ -vo x11 gives much better results (the proper picture
but CPU load is too high for my 740MHz Coppermine)

BTW, is there any sense to use sw scaling while hw scaling works Ok? :-)

Another question: are there plans to turn back to shared libffmpeg? As I
already checked there're several places in MPlayer source tree where
static libavcodec is assumed (even if configure is hacked to use shared
lib).

SY, Alexey