[MPlayer-users] Any interest in a commercial "HiFi" A/V-style PC ATX case

Jim Antoniou jantonio at westmarc.net
Wed Apr 10 22:38:02 CEST 2002

Pardon me for soliciting a potential commercial interest here, but I am
wondering if any one of the do-it-yourself, case modders, and various
hackers out there would be interested in a PC ATX form factor case that
had the aesthetics of a typical piece of stereo or video equipment--or if
you know of any that are available in the market?  I would like to see if
there is any general interest in a hardware platform that would let you
put together pretty much whatever PC hardware you've got and create a DVD,
MP3, CD, VCD, DVB, PVR, etc. etc. device that looks like a real piece of
audio/video equipment and not a hacked PC case.  I know there's a certain
fondness for "rolling your own" in this community and many others and I
envision this case as a means to that end.  Call it "hardware open source"
if you will.

There have been various attempts at producing such a product over the
years that I'm aware of, but the original idea for me came from something
called LC-DAT.  Unfortunately pictures of this are no longer around, but
it was the first--and perhaps the only--case that was built from scratch
that had the nice fit-and-finish of a piece of stereo equipment.
Considering it was meticulously handmade by someone who knew a lot about
metalworking, it was not exactly built to be commercialized.

I saw another case a couple years back that sold for about $150, but never
went anywhere.  There is this case which bills itself as a "Home Theater
PC:"

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Computers/callisto.htm

This seems to be a standard PC case with a bezel machined out of a single
piece of metal and seems to be rather steeply priced.  Another case
available is:

http://www.pc-gehaeuse.com/detail.php?detail=cal-013&index.html

This is also a bit pricey - about $270US.

I am envisioning something smaller (2U-3U perhaps), more elegant, and, of
course, cheaper - probably $100-$150.  If one can achieve enough volume, I
think this is more than possible.  PC cases are, after all, quite cheap in
volume.  I am basically trying to build a groundswell of interest and
support for something that I personally think would be great to have out
in the marketplace.  If you are aware of any PC case manufacturers that
might be amenable to designing and producing such a product (of course,
for a price, I'm sure they'all ALL amenable :)), feel free to let me
know.

If you would like to register an interest in such a case, please go to:

http://mpegpc.westmarc.net

... or just e-mail me at mpegpc at westmarc.net

Thanks for letting me pollute the list :)