[MPlayer-users] Encoding for VCD use?

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Wed Apr 10 00:13:26 CEST 2002

> I have some videos which I want to encode to watch on a VideoCD
> player.  The question is: Can it be done using mencoder?

> What options should I use?  I presume I must use -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg1video

> But what about: vbitrate?  video size (-x, -y)?

> audio codec used? (mp3lame, raw) bitrate for audio? (br)

Audio must be mp2 for VCDs.  There are quite serious constraints on the
kind of MPEG stream used for (S)VCDs.  I suggest you use mjpeg-tools for
encoding.  They contain mpeg2enc which is capable of generating VCD /
SVCD compatible video streams and mp2enc for generating mp2 audio.  GNU
VCDImager will do the job of creating a video cd image from your MPEG
file.  Use development version 0.7.12.  Stable 0.6.2 has some problems
with SVCDs...  You should also read the VCDImager docs.  They contain
precise information about (S)VCD-compatible MPEG files.

You can use MPlayer's vide codecs and feed their output via `-vo
yuv4mpeg' into a Fifo "stream.yuv", feed that into yuvscaler (of
mpjpeg-tools) and pipe the whole thing to mpeg2enc.  MPlayer's `-ao pcm'
can be used to dump your movie's audio stream, which can then be encoded
using mp2enc and mixed with the video stream using `mplex'.

I created a very simple, stupid script for that purpose.  I append it to
this mail.  Maybe you find it useful.  BTW none of my video CDs was
tested yet, since my own DVD-Player won't read self-burned CDs and I
haven't had a chance yet to test it with another player.

David Kühling