VS: [MPlayer-users] Help on installation of MPlayer

Anzi anzi at satabaana.net
Mon Apr 8 13:06:01 CEST 2002

You have to be superuser to install mplayer. became root -> su
and then try make install

-Anzi

[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
I have successfully(!) downloaded and carried out the simple three steps to
installation.

The third step, which required the command >make install, failed (it seems?)

I received this error:

robb at linuxws:/tmp/MPlayer-0.60 > make install
if test ! -d /usr/local/bin ; then mkdir -p /usr/local/bin ; fi
install -m 755 -s mplayer /usr/local/bin/mplayer
install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/mplayer': Permission
denied
make: *** [install] Error 1
robb at linuxws:/tmp/MPlayer-0.60 >

Can someone tell me what I have done wrong? Have I done anything wrong? What
can I do to reinstate myself as a good person of fine character?

At the time of install, I was logged on to my SuSe 7.2 workstation, as a
user
and not as root. I report this, as I have a sneaky suspicion that htis
factor
might play an important part in the failure.

Blessing on all your houses.

Robb
United Kingdom