[MPlayer-users] GUI fails

W. Conrad c at coney.de
Sat Apr 6 13:19:01 CEST 2002

On Saturday 06 April 2002 12:01, you both wrote:

RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]

Well, I tried but couldn't find anything explicitly dealing with input.conf

> > Linux RTC init error: Permission denied
> > Using usleep() timing
>
> rtc will work foe you, if you run mplayer as root.
> see the documentation about this.

I expected that. But didn't think this would be the cause for the GUI not to
work. Is it neccessary to use the RTC or will usleep timing work as well?
Like I said: everything works fine on the command line.

> Were you root (or suid root) when you installed MPlayer?  You might
> look for /root/.mplayer/input.conf and if found copy it to your /home....

I switched to su for the make install.

Doing a system wide search I found an input.conf in the ../etc folder under
the extraction (installation) directory. After placing it in /$HOME/.mplayer
it is read and the error has disappeared so I suppose it's a matter of the
skins.

> > SKIN dir 1: '/home/coney/.mplayer/Skin'
> > SKIN dir 2: '/usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin'
> > xk*
> > and mplayer appears as a running process but no GUI shows up.
>
> the gui won't run without installed skins. you should first install at
> least one skin, and either "tell" its name throught the command line, or
> put its name in the config file.

I extracted the default skin to    /$HOME/.mplayer/Skin'

as well as   '/usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin'

(both skin folders starting with a capital S)

and they _ARE_ there.

Since the manual says that by default the program searches in
../.mplayer/Skins/default  I even created that and copied the skins there.

On a regular startup should it say something like "... skins successfully
loaded"? It very much seems to me like it can't get the skins up.
Could there be some old config file anywhere misleading mplayer?

I tried things like: mplayer -gui -skin default    but that didn't help
either.

Thanx

Coney