[MPlayer-users] 2-pass HQ encoding with libavcodec

Hans-Peter Raschke Hans-Peter.Raschke at Wintermann-DatenService.de
Wed Apr 3 12:36:01 CEST 2002

Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Who needs divx4 or xvid any more? :)
> Thanks to Michael, the libavcodec encoder was nearly rewritten nowdays.
> I've just encoded 2 chapters of the Contact DVD at 900 kbit, full resolution
> (720x576x25fps) using 2-pass and it's very good quality!
> (i've added 2-pass support today)
>
> mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900:vme=5:vqmin=2 -pass 1
>   -nosound test.vob
>
> vme selects motion estimation algo, best values are 5 and 4, don't forget to
> set it!
>
> also note, that it encodes at 33 fps on p4, good, ehh?
>
> anyway it seems that 2-pass doesn't help so much, it's very good even at
> 1-pass encoding, just set vratetol to something bigger, good value was 40000
> for me.
>
> so, try it and tell us your opinion...
> use last-minute CVS from both mencoder and libavcodec!

Yes it is very fast (15fps with libavcodec to 11fps with xvid for
480x576 movie on my 1060 Celeron). A quick look shows slightly better
quality for libavcodec!

But in black scenes (totally black or in the prolog with some text)
there are some funny coloured blocks appearing.