[MPlayer-users] Questions/problems with recent MPlayer

Alexey Morozov morozov at novosoft.ru
Mon Apr 1 14:54:01 CEST 2002

Hi!

I just built a fresh (20020331) snapshot of the MPlayer (I use it since
2001 Fall).

Almost everything's Ok, I even tried successfully runtime CPU detection,
it works (but disabled it for the moment as it suggested in the runtime
message).

But a couple issues exist. First of all when I switch to a full-screen
mode within player that runs _without_ GUI and with XV output the whole
screen is shifted down and right (looks like video "port" set not to 0x0
- 1024x768 but to ~ 340x250 - 1364x1018 partially behind the screen).
Other video drivers (sdl, x11, xvidix:mach64_vid.so) are Ok. It's even
Ok if I run

gmplayer -fs -vo xv ~/path/to/film.avi

instead of

mplayer -fs -vo xv ~/path/to/film.avi

Another [small] problem is xvidix:mach64_vid.so. I plays Ok, but after
it -vo xv or -vo sdl:xv repeatedly give me the black screen (a movie
goes on but no output can be seen). Probably some low-level registers
aren't reset properly or smth.

A question about DivX5. I installed DivX5/Linux (5.0.20020304) and
MPlayer successfully compiled with it. But it seems that -pp/-npp/-autoq
switches don't make any sense for this vc, do it? I have a powerful
enough CPU (Coppermine/740), the highest load when playing a movie is no
more than 45% (but usually 25-30). So it's more than enough resources to
perform some clever deinterlacing/deblocking tricks which DivX5 (at
least for Windows) definitely can do (I saw the same film on a friend's
computer) but it doesn't. I still can see blocks in fast and/or poorly
encoded scenes... ffmpeg (-vc ffdivx) behaves much better in such
cases... Is there a way to turn on DivX5 postprocessing?

My system is:
	Linux w/ heavily patched 2.4.18 kernel and glibc-2.2.5
	XFree-4.2.0 w/ ATI GATOS driver
	Cel/740+MHz, Intel 440BX/ZX, 192Mb RAM
	ATI 3D Rage IIc

	MPlayer-20020331
	DivX5-20020304
	ffmpeg-20020331 statically linked (BTW, is there a 	hope to use shared
lib codec again? I tried to hack
	configure for MPlayer ~20020218 but AFAIR there were 	some dependencies
on static libavcodec somewhere right in
	the MPlayer code)

I also prepared a small patch for windows- and XAnim codecs loading
related parts (I know these parts are a bit outdated as good
native/modern codecs exist but nevertheless). The patch adds two runtime
configuration parameters (either in config or in command line):
win32_codecs_path and xanim_codecs_path, - and cleans a bit that ugly
looking code that borrowed from the WINE. These switches allows to
dynamically define (on a per-user basis) paths to external codecs, so
MPlayer can be built w/o hardcoded paths [in future].

I also can provide reasonable (I think :-))) looking spec-files to build
[source] RPM for MPlayer and MPlayer fontpack. BTW, Nick's koi8-r font
package is probably outdated. I built a (hopefully) generalized source
RPM for creation MPlayer fonts for different sizes and encodings from
external font files (well, in fact it uses TOOLS/subfont-c/subfont and
resembles scripts in that dir in a more flexible and packaging friendly
manner).

Hope these changes/improvements would be useful. If MPlayer developers
are interested please tell me where to send them.

Yours,
	Alexey Morozov