[Mplayer-users] Subtitles - feature request

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Sep 29 20:54:06 CEST 2001

Hi,

There are only possible if we generate fonts at run-time. Speed isn't
problem as latest subfont-c is extremly fast, but it depends on many things,
including freetype 2.x versions.
I see no sense of keeping 10+ versions (norm/bold/italics 4 or more sizes)
of the same font pre-build.

> I have some ideas about subtitle support:
> 1) charset translation - could be done by mplayer? At this time I must
> change font definition for each charset. Maybe MPlayer could do this - eg.
> specify charset (or charset translation file=256byte array) and subtitles
> will be translated on the fly.
> 2) font style&color support - I have encourted microdvd sub file with
> font&color definition inside for some subtitles (eg. italics for narror
> translation and different color for some explanation...). Could this be
> supported or at least thrown away (doesn't look good displayed on-screen).
> This leads to multi font/shape definition and selecting.
> 3) font size suuport - At this time font size is selected by spec font size,
> this leads to small subs for some movies and big for others. Maybe slecting
> font size by % of picture size is good Idea (this leads to multi font/size
> definition and selecting).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu