[Mplayer-users] DVD Subtitles?

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Sep 26 20:44:15 CEST 2001

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 09:12:54AM -0700, Tar wrote:
> Hi, I have just installed MPlayer-current. It works very well. I'm
> particularly impressed with the Matrox support!
>
> One problem: I am unable to get subtitles when playing DVDs. I have
> installed the font files, and the timer and slider bar in the OSD work
> fine. However, no subtitles appear. The manpage mentioned subtitle
> files. Does this mean that I have to rip the DVD's subtitles separately
> and save it as a file? If so, how do I go about doing this?

As it's written in documentation sub files and subtitles within DVD
are very different things. VOB files conatain subtitle stream which
are special eg it's in image format. Sub files are external textual
files. While mplayer has got subtitle file support, currently it HASN'T
got dvd subtitle support.

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!