[Mplayer-users] Frame Drops

Pavel Rybin pavel.rybin at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 7 01:19:10 CEST 2001

Hi!
I've been using MPlayer for quite a while now (not been on
the mailing list though as I didn't have any problems with it).
Until very recently, my system was a heavily modified
Mandrake 7.2. I think that just about the only thing I didn't
change on that one was the glibc. Some of my upgrade
decisions were however less than perfect (e.g. when I got a
cable connection I had to start the dhcp client daemon
manually). Eventually, I just decided to make a fresh start.
I picked SuSE 7.2 as my new distro (heard many wonderful
things about it). The problem is that now, whenever I play
a movie, I get frame drops at regular intervals. This did not
happen before! I've tried the -noframedrop option (which
is the default anyway apparently) and it didn't help. I've
tried different video and audio outputs. That didn't help
either. I've checked /proc/mtrr and it seems ok. I've
monitored the cpu activity when playing, and the meter
never goes above 40-50%. I have also read the docs
and still am no wiser than I was before.

Here are my system specs:
900MHz Athlon
512MB PC133 RAM
kernel 2.4.4 (stock SuSE 7.2 kernel)
XFree86 4.0.3 (the version that comes with SuSE 7.2)
nvidia geforce2 mx (using the drivers from nvidia)

By the way, when the video drops frames the audio seems
to be unaffected.

My question is the following: has anyone encountered a
similar problem and/or knows a (possible) solution? Is
this a kernel issue? Maybe XFree86 is to blame?

P.S. I tried MPlayer-cvs and when I discovered this I
uninstalled it and dug out a tarball of Mplayer-0.18pre5.
The thing was that the cvs code compiled fine, but
0.18pre5 didn't compile because I hadn't installed nasm
(after I did that, it compiled fine). Does the cvs code
not use nasm or does it simply disable it's use if it can't
find it?

Pavel Rybin