[Mplayer-users] Crusoe & CT 69000 video chip.

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Sep 1 14:16:06 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Ok, here are some specs of the CHIPS 69000 chip that I have on the Crusoe
> board.
>
> What do you think about those? Does it look like a lame video chip or what?

it doesn't really matter. geforce 3 gts is shit without good linux drivers.
or a real example:
i've got s3 trio3d agp 2x card for work machine. it was really shit under
linux, both X 3.3.x and 4.x. It was slow even for mpeg 1 playback...
then i replaced it with my old tseng 6000 pci card, and it was 6 times
faster than agp2x s3! only because it has good drivers which uses hardware
acceleration...

most new cards has everything what people need
- 2d acceleration (for windowing systems)
- yuv overlay support (for movie players)
- 3d support (for gamez)

but there is good linux support only for a few cards, namely 3dfx, ati and
matrox cards, and maybe nvidia too but they are buggy and closedsource.

others has only basic functionality (you can see something other than textmode),
some has 2d acceleration (it's getting usable for simple programs like
netscape, gimp), and a few card has Xvideo too (usable for movie playback).

another problem is that you are using fbdev, not X11.
fbdev is very basic thing, has nothing like Xvideo (YUV support) or
opengl (3d accel).

so the only thing you can use to speed up things is mtrr and faster
system data bus (FSB clock on motherboards).

> 	• 2MB integrated memory
> 	• 83 MHz SDRAM operation
my 2 year old matrox g400 has 32mb 200mhz sgram...

> — Hardware Multimedia Support
> 	• Zoom Video port
> 	• YUV input from System Bus or Video Port
> 	• YUV-RGB Conversion
> 	• Capture / Scaling
> 	• Video Zoom up to 8x
> 	• Vertical interpolation of video data up to 720 pixels wide.
> 	• Double Buffered Video
> 	• Horizontal Interpolation
> 	• Image Mirroring
this is what we need, but you need a linux driver supporting these.
(native kernel stuff like mga_vid, or Xvideo driver for X11 4.x)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu