[Mplayer-users] divx4linux too slow?!?!?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Sep 1 13:09:29 CEST 2001

Hi,

> On Sun, 26 Aug 2001 21:31:18 +0200 (CEST) Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:
>
> > ffmpeg doesn't support -pp, so it won't use it.
> > but divx4linux have postproc and it eats many cpu...
>
> Why is -pp codec dependend ? I thought it's something applied
> after the decoding.
Yes, it's applied after decoding, but it requires some info from the
codecs, especially the entropy of the macroblocks.
It won't smooth a block (even if it seems to be ugly) if codec says:
it was coded that it looks like. But when codec says: there was no
info coded for this block (or was <n bits), then postprocessing stuff
will smooth it with various filters.
Without this feedback, postprocessing would be simple gaussian blur...
(and who wants a blocky, divx resolution image blured down to vcd quality?)

Currently, there are 2 pp methods.
One is in directshow divx codec, it accept pp 0-4.
Another is the projectmayo code (opendivx/postprocess.c), it's used for
libmpeg2, opendivx and it's built-in into divx4 too.

> And will ffmpeg get a postprocessor any soon ?
yes, as soon as Gerard implement qscale array exporting.
(it's in TODO)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu