[Mplayer-users] Gcc 2.96

Steve Stavropoulos steve at math.upatras.gr
Sat Sep 1 12:48:41 CEST 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, A A wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Now I cant find an rpm of gcc 3.0 (for my Red Hat 7.1
> Linux i386 machine).....

You will find gcc3 in:
ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS
Download also from there the latest gcc 2.96. Don't worry of missing your
old compiler when upgrading to gcc3, you 'll keep them both. The new
compiler will be gcc3 and the old (2.96) just gcc.

To compile mplayer with gcc3 just do:
export CC=gcc3 (or `setenv CC gcc3` if you 've got a c shell)
./configure

> Or is it advisable to use my present gcc 2.96

 Upgrade your gcc to the latest redhat version at least. I think it's a
good thing to have both gcc 2.96 and 3.0.1 in your machine.