[MPlayer-users] Why can't I play mp3 files?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Oct 31 15:12:22 CET 2001

Hi,

> > > The command line should have been; # mpg123 a.mp3
> >
> > actually i thought the same, i havent tried using mplayer as a mp3
> > player yet, but consider most DivX's have an audio mp3 stream... why
> > shouldnt mplayer play a seperate stream?
>
> Because you haven't patched mplayer to do so -- and even you, me, or
> someone else had done so, the outcome is probably such a mess that
> it won't be included... It would just eat too much resources of the
> project maintainers...

playing audio from separate file is a planned feature.

playing mp3 audio (and no video at all) not planned. there are much better
projects for this task (mpg123, my 3pm, or xmms)

^^ this should go into the faq, as it was discussed already many times.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu