[MPlayer-users] mandrake software inclusion policy

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Oct 25 19:13:06 CEST 2001

Hi,

> As you already know, i'm currently maintaining avifile and mplayer package
yes, we know. and we are not happy knowing this.

> for Mandrake that can't be included officially for copyright/patent problems:
> - only support for windows dll in both package
not in mplayer. see --disable-win32

> So i was wondering it it was possible to build avifile/mplayer wich could
> satisfy contrib requirement, using ffmpeg for divx support, not including
> problematic parts but making them available as external packages. So, i would
> like your opinion on the following issue:
> 1) is this possible ?
no. mplayer still depends on compile-time environment - so you still can't
build portable (accross different CPUs, libs etc) binary.
someone is already working on this issue, but his first patch was incomplete
and broken. i'm waiting for next one. but it doesn't solve dependency of
libvo and libao on external libs.

> 2) is this worth the try ?
no

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team