[MPlayer-users] Problem

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Oct 24 15:46:44 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > In fact, I have a question. Is that true that my comuter
> > is to slow for pleasant watching divix's ?
>
> You think perhaps MPlayer is lying to you? It is not. I am using a PII-450
> and some movies are still jerky due to dropped frames. It seems a Duron 600,
> PIII-550, or Celeron 600 are about the minimum entry point for more movies.
> If you do software scaling/zooming and/or postprocessing, you need more iron
> beneath the hood.

yes, it is true. but we can "cheat" a bit using better video cards,
faster codecs and better drivers.

for example, on my hp omnibook 500 notebook, with celeron2 500mhz and ati
mobility (mach64 chipset), I was able to watch the SW1 DVD trailer (720x576
full size (no black bands) 1800kbps divx3 _without_ any framedrop, _but_:
- i used ffmpeg divx codec (divxds was too slow, even with -pp 0)
  note: divx4linux with -vc odivx was the same speed.
- i used NO postprocessing (but -autoq 100 is ok, usually between 1-2, sometimes 0)
- i used the GATOS Xv drivers and XF 4.1.0 (MTRR enabled)

I got about 88% cpu usage, with autoq ~98%.

So - everything is possible, but you must have hardware with HIGH QUALITY
LINUX DRIVERS. it is the most important thing.

for example, G400 is very good for mplayer.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu