[MPlayer-users] mpeg2->divx

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Oct 18 01:27:16 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > From: Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu>
> > And there is something I can't solve:
> >
> > how do you convert progressive mpeg2 (nominal 29.97fps, really about 24) to
> > divx?
>
> 	Did you mean 23.97 (NTSC 3:2 pulldown converted FILM) fps?    That
> 	is rather uncommon - most material I have seen is 29.97fps.

no!
I mean that so-called progressive mpeg2 files, where the actual coded fps is
less than nominal fps (header value). mpeg2 headers has 3 bit for signing
frame delaying, up to 3 frame times. about the half of my .vob files uses
these. the header says it's a 29.97 fps movie, but if you read frames from
the file, you'll cound only 24-26 frames per sec. but some of these frames
is flagged to be delayed so the total time of these frames is 29.97 frame
time per sec.

now, my question: how to handle these when converting to fixed-fps format
like divx avi files? i can imagine duplicating flagged frames, but mpeg2
allows half frame times too (displaying a flagged frame for 2.5 * frame
time). maybe if i duplicate fps and duplicate each non-flagged frame?
or non-integer frame times are only in interlaced files, which are
de-interlaced first?

if you don't know what am i talking about - just no answer :)
experts should know.

> 	do I believe I can help with pointers to the tools you'll need and
> 	some sample scripts that I use as templates.
no. i don't want to convert them myself. i want to fix converting ability of
mplayer (-encode).

> 	Oh, are you trying to convert from NTSC to PAL frame rates?
no!

> 	That I do not know how to do - I believe it requires some very
> 	expensive equipment.   Also the audio needs to be converted and
> 	I am not sure that can be done easily without altering the pitch.
only if you want to do in hardware.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu