[MPlayer-users] Mplayer 0.50 still slow on a AMD K7 at 900Mhz

Bartosz Bobrek b.bobrek at zodiac.mimuw.edu.pl
Sun Oct 14 21:32:55 CEST 2001

Gael PEGLIASCO wrote:

> Hello,
>
> First I want to say that I've readed the documentation of mplayer.
>
> I've compile mplayer 0.50 on my AMD Athlon K7 running Linux debian woody
> with a Nvidia GeForce2 MX card.
> My kernel is a 2.2.19 not recompiled for K7, so it is a 386 kernel.

so you *HAVE TO* compile your kernel for k7. it's huge performance
boost!!!!

> But playing avifiles of resolution near 640x480 in fullscreen is too
> slow, and the sound is not correctly synchronised with the image.
>
> I think my computer is enought faster to play such files. Isn't it ?

yes it is but with proper kernel!!!! it's realy very important!!!

> So I'd like to better tune my mplayer configuration, could you help me :
>
> I use the Xfree86 open source driver, not the nvidia's one.

I use nvidia's binaries so i do not know how works open source.. but.. i
think it is good idea to trust nvidia.
(i can play q3 800x600 full details on tnt2 and duron800)

> I only use windows codecs provided on mplayer website.

i've used them for a long time and i didn't notice any skips, framedrops or
crapy sound

> While reading the mplayer documentation it is said that MTRR  registers
> can give a bit performance boost.
> What are these registers ? Do they exists on K7 ?
> I don't understand a word of the mplayer documentation 2.2.1.1. MTRR
> paragraph on how to set up these registers.
> Could any one explain it to me ?

don't bother for it, just when you set your compile options check (2.4.x
kernels)
-->Procesor type and features --> MTRR support

> ../configure show me that's xvideo support has not been compiled in. How
> should I do to compile it ? What librairies should I install or is it
> simply not supported with my graphic card ?

after installing nvidia's drivers, xv mode (IMHO the fastest) should be
available

> Do you think compiling with libavcodecs will give performance boost ?

i don't used it so i don't know. ;-(

> Thanks you really much for your help,
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Gael,