[MPlayer-users] Help! XFree86 4.1.0 crashing when...

Steve Stavropoulos steve at math.upatras.gr
Sun Oct 14 18:34:12 CEST 2001

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Arpi wrote:

> Hi,

> maybe he just read in that funny linux books that swap should be 2 times ram
> size... it was true at 8-16mb ram time...

 And still is! As a general rule it's fine to have swap=2xram, if you 've
got 1Gb of Ram then 2gb of your disk should be nothing for you.

> > Hehe :) I've got 256Mb of RAM without _ANY_ swap. 2.4.x kernels have problems
> > inside their VM subsystem. It's better to disable swap at all ... This amount
> > of memory (1G) should be enough for everyone :) [(C)Bill Gates]
>
> I've used 2.4.0-test and later 2.4.x kernels with 64mb ram for a half year,
> without any swap. Everything worked until I started both Staroffice and
> netscape 6 at the same time :)
>
> Now, with 256m, i've never ran out of memory (no swap), even if i do make -j
> 100 bzImage and such things.

 I hear once in a while stories like yours. Stories about boys that don't
need much RAM/Swap. Let me show you my PC:

[steve at Paradise img]$ uname -a
Linux Paradise.NotHere 2.4.10 #1 Mon Sep 24 11:49:47 EEST 2001 i686 unknown

[steve at Paradise img]$ free -m
Mem:           502        498          3          0          1        151
-/+ buffers/cache:        346        155
Swap:          252         36        215

 You should note that this is just my personal PC for general use. Look at
some programms I run:

Programm	Ram Size	RSS
X		124Mb		70Mb
mozilla		68992Kb		66Mb
gimp		23762Kb		23Mb
squid		13512Kb		13Mb
xmms		11408Kb		11Mb

shall I continue?

(You already saw that I'm not following the rule 2xRAM, but that's what
the rules are for, to be broken!)