[MPlayer-users] Mplayer 0.50 still slow on a AMD K7 at 900Mhz

Costas Gargerakis pr0wler at internet.gr
Fri Oct 12 16:39:42 CEST 2001

Try using a kernel from the 2.4 series...there are some issues with KT133A
chipset and Athlon optimisations but i've found a nice patch that helps.
Also, you need Xfree >= 4.0 to get the best performance out of your
video card, not sure if it will affect how fast mplayer is though.

> But playing avifiles of resolution near 640x480 in fullscreen is too
> slow, and the sound is not correctly synchronised with the image.

What video driver are you using? I'm playing various divx files /w -vo xv
at 800x600, fullscreen....on my 2*celeron at 450 system with allmost no
skips and without -framedrop.

> I think my computer is enought faster to play such files. Isn't it ?

It sure is!

> So I'd like to better tune my mplayer configuration, could you help me :
>
> I use the Xfree86 open source driver, not the nvidia's one.
> I only use windows codecs provided on mplayer website.

Oh, and try using nvidia's driver, it helps alot.

> While reading the mplayer documentation it is said that MTRR  registers
> can give a bit performance boost.
> What are these registers ? Do they exists on K7 ?
> I don't understand a word of the mplayer documentation 2.2.1.1. MTRR
> paragraph on how to set up these registers.
> Could any one explain it to me ?

Xfree 4.1(i think it applies to 4.0.x too) automaticaly detect and
'configure'
your MTRR registers, you don't need to do a thing (other than enabling MTRR
support in your kernel, of'course)

> Thanks.
>
> ./configure show me that's xvideo support has not been compiled in. How
> should I do to compile it ? What librairies should I install or is it
> simply not supported with my graphic card ?

As i said, try the nvidia driver. If you have xfree 3.x.x try upgrading to
4.x.x.