[MPlayer-users] Mplayer 0.50 still slow on a AMD K7 at 900Mhz

Gael PEGLIASCO gael.pegliasco at e-concepts.fr
Fri Oct 12 16:00:35 CEST 2001

Hello,

First I want to say that I've readed the documentation of mplayer.

I've compile mplayer 0.50 on my AMD Athlon K7 running Linux debian woody
with a Nvidia GeForce2 MX card.
My kernel is a 2.2.19 not recompiled for K7, so it is a 386 kernel.

But playing avifiles of resolution near 640x480 in fullscreen is too
slow, and the sound is not correctly synchronised with the image.

I think my computer is enought faster to play such files. Isn't it ?

So I'd like to better tune my mplayer configuration, could you help me :

I use the Xfree86 open source driver, not the nvidia's one.
I only use windows codecs provided on mplayer website.

While reading the mplayer documentation it is said that MTRR  registers
can give a bit performance boost.
What are these registers ? Do they exists on K7 ?
I don't understand a word of the mplayer documentation 2.2.1.1. MTRR
paragraph on how to set up these registers.
Could any one explain it to me ?

Thanks.

./configure show me that's xvideo support has not been compiled in. How
should I do to compile it ? What librairies should I install or is it
simply not supported with my graphic card ?

Do you think compiling with libavcodecs will give performance boost ?

Thanks you really much for your help,

With kind regards,

Gael,