[MPlayer-users] QT/MOV support

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Oct 11 13:52:49 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > content. The main problem of it: the codecs. Most of them are MAC-only.
> > Currently only cvid and vp31 video and raw audio is tested and working.
>
> DV works too. Cool!
>
> Below is a patch for codecs.conf which corrects "Sony Digital Video" codec entry and adds
> "MainConcept DV Codec" -- a little faster (uploaded to incoming/dv"). Both work with AVI
> and MOV DV.

Thank you!

> Some remarks to MOV support:
>
> - Is there an aspect ratio info in MOV files? If not, maybe set default to 4:3 for all DV.
probably there is. but it isn't parsed yet...
mov files has hundreds of various info and header chunks. probably we never
will support all of them.

> Excerpt from Adobe Premiere FAQ:
> "DV clips have image dimensions of 720 x 480 pixels for NTSC and 720 x 576 for PAL. In
> addition, these dimensions can come as either a 4:3 or a 16:9 aspect ratio, depending on
> the camera settings at the time the footage was taken."
>
> - It seems that mplayer scans the whole MOV before it starts playing. DV files size is
> usually in the order of GigaBytes, so it takes long to start playing.
no. it shouldn't scan it. it just reads the header chunk.
upload a small (few MB) file, i'll check. maybe DV files has many small mdat
chunks or so.

> Another excerpt from AP FAQ:
> "Does Adobe Premiere 5.1 support .dv file format? Yes. By supporting QuickTime 4.0's
> architecture, Adobe Premiere 5.1 now has direct support for .dv files. Using QuickTime,
> Premiere can playback DV files even when a DV codec is not present in the machine."
>
> Maybe this "QuickTime 4.0's architecture" would be useful for MPlayer and sorenson codec.
i think they mean non-mov fileformat. .dv is a stream without headers.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu