[MPlayer-users] MPlayer 0.50 on sparc solaris 8

Gregory A. Shimansky gregory at lab.sun.mcst.ru
Thu Oct 11 12:06:12 CEST 2001

RT> Gregory!

RT> Again you are right - I added this dir to PATH and it works. But "make
RT> install" retunrs this error:

RT> bash-2.03# make install
RT> if [ ! -e /usr/local/bin ]; then \
RT>         mkdir -p /usr/local/bin; \
RT> fi
RT> /bin/sh: test: argument expected
RT> make: *** [install] Error 1

This happens because sh on linux is a link to bash (a more powerful version
of sh) so sometimes people on linux forget that sh and bash are not the
same on other systems and use extended functionality of sh which is
actually bash. On Solaris sh is sh, the old shell and it is not linked to
bash. Don't worry, just copy mplayer from the source directory to
/usr/local/bin by hands, it will do the same. Mplayer installs only
executable and man page (you can copy it by hands to /usr/local/man/man1
from DOCS directory).

RT> I have /usr/local/bin in my PATH, so I suppose that problem exists somewhere
RT> else. Where? Regards

Make sure you have permissions to write to /usr/local/bin (Don't be
offended, your unix skills aren't enough to be a system administrator, and
usually only system administrator is allowed to write into /usr/local/bin).
If you don't have them, keep mplayer in your home directory.

--
Gregory