[MPlayer-users] Re: License

Robinson, Chad crobinson at rfgonline.com
Tue Oct 9 15:50:41 CEST 2001

> This was a concern I had before, but with the new conditions specified
> in the docs I think this is covered. Mplayer's own code (written from
> scratch by Arpi & co) is not released under the GPL since they want the
> possibility to restrict redistribution of binaries. The code which is
> borrowed from other projects are specified as still carrying the license
> it had before.

I wasn't aware of this. It invalidates some of what I said earlier. However,
it raises another concern. MPlayer isn't really protected by any license,
then. There isn't a Copyright notice to be found. That means ANYBODY could
steal it and do whatever they wanted with it without reference, credit, or
remuneration to the original authors. Shame...

Regards,
Chad