[MPlayer-users] rant

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Oct 8 18:16:09 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > If someone
> > - give us a method of detecting gcc 2.96 release
>
> Since the systems using this compiler (Mandrake and Redhat) are
> rpm-based I think there should be some easy way to check this. With
> Debian you could parse the output of:
>
> $ dpkg -s gcc-2.95 | grep Version
> Version: 1:2.95.4-0.010902
>
> and I'm sure something similar is possible with rpm.

see my prev mail. i need the version of compiler being _used_, it may differ
from that one was installed from rpm/deb.

> > - give us a complete list of test results with gcc 2.96 releases
> > then we can limit this check for really buggy releases.
>
> In linux/Documentation/Changes this is said:
>
> "The Red Hat gcc 2.96 compiler subtree can also be used to build this
> tree. You should ensure you use gcc-2.96-74 or later. gcc-2.96-54 will
> not build the kernel correctly."
>
> but building the kernel is different from building mplayer, so I can't
> say that the equivalent is true for mplayer.
yes, but no one thought that kernel is buggy, they all thought gcc is shit.
but it doesn't stay for mplayer, all users think mplayer is buggy and gcc
can't be wrong because it build the kernel :)

maybe we should rename mplayer to mkernel?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu