[MPlayer-users] rant

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Oct 8 17:51:44 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > DO you know a method of detecting gcc 2.96 package release?
>
> 	rpm -q gcc

it is useless for us. mainly if user uses different gcc than default rpm.
(usual case: he has gcc 2.96 rpm but he compiled 3.0.1 too and use it by
default or using -cc or CC=)

we need a gcc option.

> that gives for me:
> 	gcc-2.96-94
> 94 is the significant number. Anything above 85 will work fine. For less
> than 85 I don't know. gcc-2.96-85 is a RECCOMENDED RedHat 7.x update.
> -94 is the rawhide version.
>

> > Old versions come in 8.0 and redhat 7.x are buggy. And we can't make
> > the difference (neither test which works and which no) as all gcc reports
> > 2.96. Isn't the version number used by redhat people? It should be gcc
> > 2.96.x and x is the release (so we can change the check to allow for example
> > 2.96.85 but don't allow 2.96.81)
>
> they relay on the Build number for versioning.

if gcc 2.96-85 and 2.96-94 differs in _functinality_ then it should be
different version (2.96 and 2.96.1 for example).
same version number must cover the same functionality (but allow different
builds, for example updates for different glibc or kernel etc)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu