[MPlayer-users] rant

Dariusz Pietrzak dariush at ajax.umcs.lublin.pl
Mon Oct 8 15:40:32 CEST 2001

> Surely all that is required is a comment that "mplayer is not tested with
> the 2.96 compiler - there have been issues with this compiler in the past
> - we don't recommend you use it.  Please don't report problems to the
> lists until you have confirmed that they also exist when you compile with
> 2.95 or >=3.0."

Such statements already have been tested - they don't work.
Then there was --disable-gcc-checking - still no good, people happily
running configure --disable-gcc-chcecking and then sending silly
bugreports.

> really grates for me.  I don't think it does the project credit.
 The code gives project a credit. You don't throw your *BSD away just
because *BSD users are hostile, don't you?

> Quality code is hard to write.  Mplayer has bugs, gcc has bugs.
> icewm has bugs...
Nobody said anything bad about gcc - those that gcc guys released are
mostly fine.

--
Dariusz Pietrzak
Hokahoka gohan...