[MPlayer-users] pentium4 bench

Anders Rune Jensen root at gnulinux.dk
Sun Nov 25 04:02:11 CET 2001

On søn, 2001-11-25 at 01:18, Arpi wrote:
> Just got access to a pentium4 - 2GHz system with 1GB PC800 RAMBUS ram (fast!)
> so immediately did some benchmarking on it.
great!

> Here are the results:
> Just for comparison, here are results running same tests on my celeron2 1066
> (133mhz bus):
>
> note that p4 2hgz doesn't seem to be 2x (or more) faster than 1ghz celeron-2.
> it's strange, as it has very fast ram (400mhz rambus compared to 133mhz sdram)
> and also the cpu has double clockrate.
> maybe the code should be optimized differently for p4?

The code should definetly be uptimized for Pentium 4. The Pentium 4 uses
a very special pipeline and is relying heavily on SSE2. I think Intel
released some documents describing how to uptimze your code for P4.

Like the 3dnow and MMX2 optimizations for the postprocessor, which gave
quite a bit.

--
Regards
|Anders Rune Jensen        icq  : #52926571        |