[MPlayer-users] MPlayer vs. WarpVision conflict

pl p_l at tfz.net
Fri Nov 23 10:21:21 CET 2001

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 12:06:28AM -0800, Max Alekseyev wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> Let me repeat the base points of our conflict.
>
> 1. We do understand your claims and Alex (the author of WarpVision) is preparing WarpVision sources for publishing.
> They will be published as soon as possible. Let's leave all technical details until this is done.

It looks pretty clear and simple:
  You put something on the web it's accessible.
  Therefore it's a redistribution so you must give sources or stop the
  distribution till sources is available.

> 2. We totally unaccept a way that MPlayer authors chose to let us know about our mistake.
> Instead of contacting Alex they have put a lot of "dirt" on their homepage.
> We cann't and won't tolerate phrases like "They will die a dog's death for sure I swear!"
>
> Alex promised to fix the problem in the first reply and asked MPlayer authors to remove dirt from their homepage.
> They rejected. We still insist on removing all insults from MPlayer homepage and on using more polite words.
> MPlayer authors have to apologize to Alex.

The wording may be rude but you stole/borrowed/<whatever that does not
hurt your sensibility> some long hours of work spent coding and hacking
binary format so try to imagine why there's angst...  At least an
acknowledgement would have been a minimum.

> 3. WarpVision is not just a port of MPlayer. So please don't speculate on this topic anymore.
> Just wait until  WarpVision sources are published.
They should already be.

--
Best regards,
  pl