IDE settings (WAS: [MPlayer-users] DVD playback)

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Thu Nov 22 15:36:29 CET 2001

Um 12:50 Uhr am 22.11.01 schrieb Frank Boehme:

>> Prepare for data loss. All DMA-Modes below UDMA66 _do not use error
>> correction_, so if you *force* UDMA33 for example, even if the kernel
>> insists switching it off, you may introduce errors into the date read or
>> written.

> Hm. My idea was to do this (forcing dma) only for playing dvds, because
> it worked well when I did it manually.

The better (and persistant) solution would be to check your hardware. As
long as all your drives, cables and chipsets conform the IDE specs, the
kernel wouldn't switch off DMA etc.

I have seen many cheap PCs, especially the one sold by companies like
"MediaMarkt" (a big store in Germany, "specialized" on technical stuff
like fridges, microwaves, TVs and PCs), with overlong IDE cables, which
tend to cause this errors very regulary.

Windows-Users don't see those errors, but everyone using a non-M$-OS gets
bitten by those bugs quite often.

S!