[MPlayer-users] RFC: -name commandline parameter

D J Hawkey Jr hawkeyd at visi.com
Wed Nov 21 02:27:37 CET 2001

On Nov 21, at 01:37 AM, Helge Titlestad wrote:

> Well, the subject says it all..
> I would like to have a "-name blah" commandline parameter which would
> make the title of the mplayer output window "blah" instead of "MPlayer".
> No, it's not because I hate MPlayer and never want to see it's name;
> it's because it can be useful for swallowing the mplayer window in other
> applications, for example a webbrowser. With multiple "MPlayer"-titled
> windows the app wouldn't know which one to swallow.

Actually, the window names are "MPlayer" for the GUI, and "ViDEO" for
the playback window. I'd like the window names to be "mplayer gui",
"mplayer video", etc., but you have a good idea.

Along the same lines, I'm glad to see the X resource class classes for
all the windows be the same thing, "MPlayer". This is the norm.

This app's class names are also all "MPlayer", which is OK so far, but
if, for instance, two video windows could be opened from one application
(say, two camera angles), then the class name for each of them ought to
be different.

Many window managers can use the class for a variety of controls, such
as no-titling, or "grouping", by class class and/or name. Also, many
window managers can "granularize" names, and having a consistant window
name prefix, but different window name suffix, neither of which is the
class class or name, would be ideal.

I can hack these changes, if nobody objects, but nobody wants to.

> alge, a brave gcc 2.96 user

A heretical FreeBSD user,
Dave

--