[MPlayer-users] MEncoder and file sizes

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Nov 19 20:56:41 CET 2001

Hi,

> This video was converted by some yahoo on the Net into a DiVX with the same
> visual quality at 50MB. That's roughly a 5:1 compression ratio. To get that

> So, the question is, how did that guy get HIS file to 50MB? I thought this

ok. the only way to get 20% of original size is decreasing bitrate to 20%.
but with the same framerate/size it will cause poor quality, it's true.
so he maybe decreased size, framerate (dropped frames?), increased keyframe
rate and enabeld postprocessing filters at playback. all of these combined
can result the same (at least you see the same, as your eye is limited)
quality. but it's over our list topic, go to some site with encoding tips
and tricks, there are many of them. people making 1CD DVD quality DVDrips
know how to do that...

so, be a bit more specific.
compare the header of your original file, and the 1:5 version.
you should see where is the trick.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu