[MPlayer-users] mencoder problems : lame and 'make test' results

Michael Hunold m.hunold at gmx.de
Fri Nov 16 09:34:32 CET 2001

Hello pl,

> I've run some tests for lame 3.89beta compilation on the configurations
> I had available ( Mandrake 8.0 gcc-2.96-0.48mdk / Debian stable gcc
> 2.95.2-13 / Debian unstable gcc 2.95.4-8 / Debian unstable gcc 3.0.2-3)

Thank you very much for your investigations!

> In lame makefile, may be read:
>   " Because of compiler options and effects of roundoff, the number of
>   bytes which are different may not be zero, but should be at most 30."
>
> Most 'make test' results were above 400 !

Same for me. I got the same errors as with "mencoder" here. It remember
doing "make test" using the same configuration with lame 3.70. That one
did not show any problems.

But when I upgraded to 3.89b because of "mencoder", I ommited the test.
Perhaps they changed the default compile flags.

> I've checked a bit further with the CFLAGS. My conclusions after a 10's
> of tests is that lame should not be compiled with default optimization flags
> if quality (functionnality) matters.

That solves the problem for me, too.

> PS: FWIW, the gcc296 I found does not even^W run the test with standard
> flags, other versions may probably do it...

So again it
's one of these famous 2.96 errors. Perhaps these
things should be added to the docs, too.

Thanks again!

CU
Michael.