[MPlayer-users] Feature request: remote-control mode

Robinson, Chad crobinson at rfgonline.com
Thu Nov 15 15:56:53 CET 2001

Kilian Foth wrote:

> Therefore I would like to have a real remote-control mode in mplayer
> where it would read commands such as 'play' or 'seek 150' and give
> easily parsable output such as '150/6450'. Are you planning such a
> feature, or would you consider it if I hacked it in?

I second this motion. I have written software that maintains a list of
movies, including information such as title, plot, actors, IMDB rating, etc.
It calls MPlayer to play the actual movies. I'm planning on releasing it as
Open Source as soon as it's actually usable in some form. (Right now, it
works well, but a lot of stuff is hard-coded.)

Adding this support would allow me to control MPlayer from within the
program. This would be better than the current option, which is forcing
users to quit the movie to go back to the program. I had already planned a
hack so MPlayer would output its quit-location for my program to send back
when the movie was restarted, but the above-mentioned stuff would be
perfect.

I had imagined some kind of pipe like the Xaudio SDK uses. FYI, that's a
free (or at least it was, haven't checked) MP3 player with a library you can
use to access functions like play/stop/get info/etc.

I'd be willing to work with you, Kilian, and anybody else interested in
adding this functionality.

Regards,
Chad