[MPlayer-users] mencoder and -lameopts

marpet at linuxpl.org marpet at linuxpl.org
Thu Nov 15 15:42:30 CET 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:45:18 +0200 (CEST)
Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>
> Hi,
>
> > Also is there a plan for autocropping of the borders as it should
> > definatly produce smaller file sizes ?
> cropping? yes.
> auto? not.
> smaller files? no. it won't decrease filesize, as codecs
> notices the black stuff and don't use any bits to code it.

sorry if I say something stupid here, but that's OK, when the black borders
are exactly on block borders, but when the sharp edge exists
_inside_ a block wouldn't the codec need more bits to encode that 'sharpness'
than when there was a nice smooth gradient for example?

BTW: I aggree that autocropping is a little overkill here, 'manual' cropping
and a few zooming algos would be just perfect.

regards

--
Marek Pętlicki <marpet at linuxpl.org>
Linux User ID=162988