[MPlayer-users] Alan Cox says gcc 2.96 is not buggy

GrandMasterLee masterlee at digitalroadkill.net
Sun Nov 11 06:45:52 CET 2001

As a more on-topic note around this, no one entity should be telling an
OSS project that the standards it uses are wrong, if they comply with
the "latest and greatest"(figure of speech) releases of certain software
pieces that are released from the GNU project or other core project
pieces.

To dispute this is futile, as has already been witnessed here on this
list. I use BOTH 2.96 and 3.x.x. Using more than one compiler is a joy
for me. I have a choice on the version and I don't need to adhere to
Mplayer's rules if I don't see fit. They even put a way around it for me
in the configure script.

The development team of MPlayer are doing good work and the only thing
they've done is happen to disagree with some people. It's not the end of
the world, and we should be supportive, and productive in our speech,
rather than lame and immobile.

I've even gone so far as to purify my GCC3 as prescribed at gcc.gnu.org.
Now, I compile all my kernels with it, and I'm not disappointed. Nothing
I've tried to compile has complained. I like GCC3, it's good. Now back
to our regularly scheduled MPlayer list.

Rock On MPlayer!