[MPlayer-users] Alan Cox says gcc 2.96 is not buggy

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sat Nov 10 22:41:49 CET 2001

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 08:03:14PM +0300, Alex Kanavin wrote:
> > > However, if the real goal of these "measures" is to annoy and humiliate
> > > Red Hat users whenever possible then I should probably give up...
> > No. we just want to avoid using buggy compilers.
> > And we won't change our mind.
> > Give it up or unsubscribe.
>
> People will keep asking "what's wrong with you guys? why are you so
> stubborn?". Is that what you want?

He? You are the subborn, guy! You want to remove a warning mechanism which
help many users to realize that many bugs caused by gcc 2.96. OK, it's
possible that newer gcc 2.96 versions are bugfree (?), but can you mention a
way to check it? Meny users don't update their distributions and have the
old, buggy gcc 2.96 nowdays as well. And even if all of gcc 2.96 released by
RedHat would be bugfree gcc 2.96 is not official release of gcc team, check
the homepage of gcc. Sorry, I don't think that a money oriented company can
produce better and more bug free compiler than the original developers of
the software (gcc team). Alan Cox is quite smart guy, and very talanted
kernel hacker, but he's NOT a compiler developer. I'm not a compiler
developer either. So I beleive gcc guys. And you should, too ...

IF gcc guys would say that gcc 2.96 is okey, it's supported by them and so
on, I would say: ok, remove that message from ./configure ...

IMHO.

- Gabor