[MPlayer-users] What is it: http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/homepage/ NEWS: 2001.11.Fri Nov 9 09:35:30 2001

Tom Mraz t8m at centrum.cz
Fri Nov 9 12:15:49 CET 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Arpi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It was my personal opinion about GPL, but gabucino put it to news by
> joke...

---- BEGIN FLAME BLOCK ----

If you think that GPL SUX maybe you should stop using Linux because if it
wasn't GPLed it wouldn't be so developed as it is now. It's good sources
would be already stolen by every company which now develops on it and gives
the source back to community because they have to. There could be probably
tens of proprietary distributions without source codes and so on. And in
conclusion Linux wouldn't be so highly developed. GPL is the best opensource
license because it forbids to steal the code from the community.

---- END FLAME BLOCK ----

And about the problem you've had with the nonGPL code in the kernel. I don't
think it's impossible to compile nonGPL code into the kernel (maybe with
some hacking) or you can make initrd and let the proprietary code be in the
module when you're booting.

Tomas Mraz