[MPlayer-users] DeCSS

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 9 00:02:48 CET 2001

On Thursday, 8. November 2001 22:59, you wrote:
> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>
> Hi,
>
> > I think you can read German? if not ... tell me
>
> I can read, but don't understand :)
ok, here is my translation, wasn't easy, hope it satisfies all readers :)

> > mfg Johannes
> >
> > München (mg) -  Ein kalifornisches Gericht hat entschieden, dass die
> > Verbreitung des DVD-Knack-Programms DeCSS nicht illegal ist. Das Gericht
> > ist der Ansicht, dass die Verbreitung des DeCSS-Codes als Äußerung zu
> > bewerten ist und damit von der Verfassung der Vereinigten Staaten gedeckt
> > ist.

Munich (mg) - A californian Court has decided, that the distribution of the
DVD-Crack-Program DeCSS is not illegal. The Court's point of view is, that
the distribution of the DeCSS-Code is to be rated as a statement and so is
covered by the US' constitution.

> > "Obwohl der soziale Wert von DeCSS fragwürdig sein könnte, ist es
> > nichtsdestoweniger eine reine Meinungsäußerung", sagt das Urteil aus. Da
> > Verfassungsrechte über normale Gesetze stehen, kann die freie
> > Meinungsäußerung gesetzlich nicht eingeschränkt werden. Da DeCSS als
> > Meinungsäußerung zu werten ist, kann somit auch dessen Verbreitung nicht
> > gesetzlich eingeschränkt werden. Damit sei DeCSS legal.

"Although the social value of DeCSS might be questioned, it's nevertheless a
pure statement", tells the verdict. As constitutional rights have priority
over common law, Free Speech cannot be restricted by law. As DeCSS is to be
rated as statement, thus its distribution cannot be restricted by law. So
DeCSS is legal.

> > Das Urteil ist ein schwerer Schlag gegen die Bemühung der Filmindustrie,
> > die mit allen Mitteln versucht den DVD-Kopierschutz CSS (Content
> > Scrambling System) vor Knacktools zu schützen.

The judgement is a hard beat in the movie industries' efforts, which is
trying by all means to protect the DVD-copyprotection CSS (Content Scrambling
System) from Crackingtools.

> > Die Richter stärken jedoch auch die Rechte der Filmindustrie: Zwar ist
> > die Verbreitung von DeCSS nicht mehr illegal, die Verbreitung von mit
> > DeCSS gerippten Filmen dagegen ist weiterhin verboten. Das Verfahren
> > dürfte damit noch lange nicht abgeschlossen sein, denn weitere
> > Berufungsverfahren stehen noch an.

But the Judges also empower the rights of the movie industry: It id true,
that the distribution of DeCSS if no longer illegal, but the distribution of
movies ripped with DeCSS is still prohibited. The procedure should by far not
be closed with this, 'cause further appeal proceedings are waiting.

--
Best Regards,
	Atmos

-- MPlayer - 'cause the best things in life are free! --