[MPlayer-users] mencoder 1 pass and 2 pass encoding diference

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Nov 7 22:23:08 CET 2001

Hi,

> > The downside is that 2-pass mode takes twice the time (you make 2 full
> > encodings). The big advantage is very constant quality throughout the
> > movie clip. The other advantage is that you can predict clipsize more
> > accurately than in single pass mode.
>
> And (I know this is too relative, but...), is the quality really improved?
> It worth the doble time?

Yes, it does.
I've encoded the Shaolin Soccer movie with 1pass and 2pass, and the
difference is really big. (for peoplenot knowing the film: it's basicly low
motion film but there are some parts with few minutes long very fast motion,
which looks blocky shit with 1pass, but dvd quality with 2pass. you can't
see the difference in slow parts - because they used more bits in 1pass mode
than required).

btw encoding DVD size on my 1ghz cel2 is about 10fps, so a single night is
enough to 2-pass encode a dvd film.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu