[MPlayer-users] Mencoder feature/bug ?

Arnd Marijnissen grimm at cistron.nl
Wed Nov 7 12:52:34 CET 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Arpi wrote:

> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>
> Hi,
>
> > but... ;)
> > If i play my movie (7 years in tibet... still ;) with mplayer, it becomes
> > wide-screen. If i encode it with mencoder, it's encoded in a less wide
> > aspect ratio.
> > Now, while playing the DVD in mplayer, it tells me something about using a
> > pre-scaler (sorry, dont have output handy at the moment).
> >
> > Is this a bug due to lacking pre-scaler support in mencoder ?
> > or.. is this a feature, because the pre-scaler just makes the "narrow"
> > movie play as "wide" in mplayer ?
>
> mplayer scales image if aspect ratio info in header says it.
> byt avi files has no such header, so you should use the -aspect option.
> and, as usual, RTFM :)

Okie, but what about the tons of DivX's out there that are "widescreen" ?
I take it that they're encoded by reading dvd-data, scaling that and then
encoding _that_ datastream ?

Or am i babbling ? ;)
(It wouldnt be handy to have to give someone a DivX and then tell him
"Oh yes, it only looks good if you scale it with this aspect ratio!"..
Doesnt work ;)

So, is there a way to encode the avi with the "right" aspect ratio ?

--
 Justageek